For the next four problems just do the following:
(Answer any three of the four questions. If you answer a fourth question and identify that as an extra-credit question, it will be graded for four extra credit points)
A. Identify the independent variable(s) – if any (and define them precisely and indicate they are qualitative or quantitative)
B. Identify the dependent variable – if any (and define them precisely and indicate they are qualitative or quantitative)
C. Identify the type of analysis that is appropriate (Chi-Square test of independence, ANOVA, Regression, or Correlation)
D. Justify why the analysis you identified in part C is correct.
(3 + 3 + 3 + 3 points)
- Your firm is having quality problem with the production of plastic automotive parts: there are too many defectives. One of your engineers thinks that it’s because the temperature of the process is not controlled carefully enough. Another engineer is sure that it’s because the assembly line is being shut down too often for unrelated reasons. You have decided to analyze the problem and have come up with figures for the percent defective each day recently, the standard deviation of temperature measured hourly each day (as a measure of temperature control), and the number of assembly line stoppages each day. You are interested in finding out which engineer is right.
- Some critics of big business argue that CEOs are overpaid and that their compensation is not related the performance of their company. To test this theory, data on executive’s total pay and company’s performance was collected from a randomly selected set of fifty companies.
- Many companies use well-known celebrities in their ads, while other companies create their own spokespersons (such as Maytag repairman). A marketing researcher is interested in investigating the relationship between gender of the spokesperson and brand awareness. Three hundred television viewers were asked to identify the products advertised by celebrity spokespersons.
- To test whether the mean time needed to mix a batch of material is the same for machines produced by three manufacturers, Jacob’s Chemical Company obtained the data on the mixing times from ten batches for each of the machines. What can we conclude?
Problems — Full
For the next two problems just do the following:
A. Set up the appropriate hypotheses (in plain English)
B. Draw appropriate statistical conclusions (based on the printout provided). In your conclusions, make sure to indicate what values you specifically used from the printout (i.e., highlight/mark/circle the relevant values you need from the printout and then use them in your discussion/conclusions).
C. Present proper conclusions for the business problem.
- As a consulting industrial engineer you are hired to perform a “human factors experiment” at Burstinter & Lobel, a large law firm. A pool of 30 typists of similar ability and experience is selected to participate. Groups of 10 typists each are randomly assigned to one of three working conditions—very noisy atmosphere (90 Db constant), somewhat noisy atmosphere (65 Db constant), and pleasant atmosphere (40 Db constant). The subjects are then asked to type a technical manuscript. The following data represent the number of mistakes on the manuscript make by the typists under the various working conditions. Groups
(90 Db) Somewhat Noisy
(65 Db) Pleasant
5 At the .01 level of significance, is there evidence of a difference in the average number of errors between the three groups?
(3 + 8 + 6 points)
Please refer to Printout #1 for this problem
- A list of best selling cars for 1987 is shown in the table. The 1988 suggested retail price and the total number sold are given in the table below..
MODEL 1988 Price
(in thousands) Number sold
Pontiac Grand Am
Chev. Caprice 5.4
At = .05, is there evidence of relationship between the two variables?
(3 + 8 + 6 points)
Please refer to Printout #2 for this problem
- What is Post-ANOVA test? Why is it necessary? When? Explain with an example.
(4 + 2 + 2 points)
- The heights of a sample of husbands and wives in the Heightlands are given below. Write down an equation (i.e., the regression equation) predicting the height of a husband (Y) from the height of his wife (X). What is the correlation coefficient for this equation? (2 + 2 points) Height of husband Height of wife
One-way ANOVA: Mistakes versus NoiseLevel
Null hypothesis All means are equal
Alternative hypothesis Not all means are equal
Significance level α = 0.05
Equal variances were assumed for the analysis.
Factor Levels Values
NoiseLevel 3 1, 2, 3
Analysis of Variance
Source DF Adj SS Adj MS F-Value P-Value
NoiseLevel 2 546.9 273.433 42.19 0.000
Error 27 175.0 6.481
Total 29 721.9
S R-sq R-sq(adj) R-sq(pred)
2.54588 75.76% 73.96% 70.07%
NoiseLevel N Mean StDev 95% CI
1 10 13.900 2.923 (12.248, 15.552)
2 10 6.500 2.550 (4.848, 8.152)
3 10 3.800 2.098 (2.148, 5.452)
Pooled StDev = 2.54588
Regression Analysis: Number versus Price
Analysis of Variance
Source DF Adj SS Adj MS F-Value P-Value
Regression 1 3311 3310.9 7.77 0.032
Price 1 3311 3310.9 7.77 0.032
Error 6 2556 426.0
Total 7 5867
S R-sq R-sq(adj) R-sq(pred)
20.6396 56.43% 49.17% 23.44%
Term Coef SE Coef T-Value P-Value VIF
Constant 302.9 30.9 9.80 0.000
Price -8.78 3.15 -2.79 0.032 1.00
Number = 302.9 – 8.78 Price
Fits and Diagnostics for Unusual Observations
Obs Number Fit Resid Std
2 245.0 202.8 42.2 2.30 R
R Large residual
Compelling correspondence is essential to the achievement all things considered but since of the changing idea of the present working environments, successful correspondence turns out to be more troublesome, and because of the numerous impediments that will permit beneficiaries to acknowledge the plan of the sender It is restricted. Misguided judgments.In spite of the fact that correspondence inside the association is rarely completely open, numerous straightforward arrangements can be executed to advance the effect of these hindrances.
Concerning specific contextual analysis, two significant correspondence standards, correspondence channel determination and commotion are self-evident. This course presents the standards of correspondence, the act of general correspondence, and different speculations to all the more likely comprehend the correspondence exchanges experienced in regular daily existence. The standards and practices that you learn in this course give the premise to additionally learning and correspondence.
This course starts with an outline of the correspondence cycle, the method of reasoning and hypothesis. In resulting modules of the course, we will look at explicit use of relational connections in close to home and expert life. These incorporate relational correspondence, bunch correspondence and dynamic, authoritative correspondence in the work environment or relational correspondence. Rule of Business Communication In request to make correspondence viable, it is important to follow a few rules and standards. Seven of them are fundamental and applicable, and these are clear, finished, brief, obliging, right, thought to be, concrete. These standards are frequently called 7C for business correspondence. The subtleties of these correspondence standards are examined underneath: Politeness Principle: When conveying, we should build up a cordial relationship with every individual who sends data to us.
To be inviting and polite is indistinguishable, and politeness requires an insightful and amicable activity against others. Axioms are notable that gracious “pay of graciousness is the main thing to win everything”. Correspondence staff ought to consistently remember this. The accompanying standards may assist with improving courtesy:Preliminary considering correspondence with family All glad families have the mystery of progress. This achievement originates from a strong establishment of closeness and closeness. Indeed, through private correspondence these cozy family connections become all the more intently. Correspondence is the foundation of different affiliations, building solid partners of obedient devotion, improving family way of life, and assisting with accomplishing satisfaction (Gosche, p. 1). In any case, so as to keep up an amicable relationship, a few families experienced tumultuous encounters. Correspondence in the family is an intricate and alluring marvel. Correspondence between families isn’t restricted to single messages between families or verbal correspondence.
It is a unique cycle that oversees force, closeness and limits, cohesiveness and flexibility of route frameworks, and makes pictures, topics, stories, ceremonies, rules, jobs, making implications, making a feeling of family life An intelligent cycle that makes a model. This model has passed ages. Notwithstanding the view as a family and family automatic framework, one of the greatest exploration establishments in between family correspondence centers around a family correspondence model. Family correspondence model (FCP) hypothesis clarifies why families impart in their own specific manner dependent on one another ‘s psychological direction. Early FCP research established in media research is keen on how families handle broad communications data. Family correspondence was perceived as an exceptional scholastic exploration field by the National Communications Association in 1989. Family correspondence researchers were at first impacted by family research, social brain science, and relational hypothesis, before long built up the hypothesis and began research in a family framework zeroed in on a significant job. Until 2001, the primary issue of the Family Communication Research Journal, Family Communication Magazine, was given. Family correspondence is more than the field of correspondence analysts in the family. Examination on family correspondence is normally done by individuals in brain science, humanism, and family research, to give some examples models. However, as the popular family correspondence researcher Leslie Baxter stated, it is the focal point of this intelligent semantic creation measure making the grant of family correspondence special. In the field of in-home correspondence, correspondence is normally not founded on autonomous messages from one sender to one beneficiary, yet dependent on the dynamic interdependency of data shared among families It is conceptualized. The focal point of this methodology is on the shared trait of semantic development inside family frameworks. As such, producing doesn’t happen in vacuum, however it happens in a wide scope of ages and social exchange.
Standards are rules end up being followed when performing work to agree to a given objective. Hierarchical achievement relies significantly upon compelling correspondence. So as to successfully impart, it is important to follow a few standards and rules. Coming up next are rules to guarantee powerful correspondence: clearness: lucidity of data is a significant guideline of correspondence. For beneficiaries to know the message plainly, the messages ought to be sorted out in a basic language. To guarantee that beneficiaries can without much of a stretch comprehend the importance of the message, the sender needs to impart unmistakably and unhesitatingly so the beneficiary can plainly and unquestionably comprehend the data.>