By now, everyone around the world has heard of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement or have participated in it. Black Lives Matter is a current social movement impacting our families, communities, cities, and the world. But, this is not the only movement that’s occurring worldwide or has happened in the past from which we still benefit. It is your turn to join a movement by investigating it through secondary research.
What is a Social Movement?
“Social movements are broad alliances of people who are connected through their shared interest in social change. Social movements can advocate for a particular social change, but they can also organize to oppose a social change that is being advocated by another entity. These movements do not have to be formally organized to be considered social movements. Different alliances can work separately for common causes and still be considered a social movement.” Read What is a Social Movement?
Your analytical research essay will begin with a question in mind for which you do not have the answer or take a stance. In your research, you will gather information and then make a claim about a social movement (current or past). For example, a question about BLM could be, Have Blacks benefitted from the Black Lives Matter movement thus far? The answer to your question is your thesis and will drive the content of your research. Many researchers do not come to a conclusion about their topic until they’ve completed the research and drafted the essay because, through research and writing, you are still uncovering answers.
• Research a social movement that you are curious about. You may opt to steer away from a movement where you have a definite opinion or first-hand experience as this is an objective essay that shouldn’t contain emotional appeals or opinions.
• Conduct research, collecting, at a minimum of 10 sources, about and/or in response to the movement (this will go on your Annotated Bibliography and your Works Cited).
• Write an essay of, at minimum 1,500 words, informing your audience of the purpose, the status, the details, the outcome(s), etc. of your chosen social movement.
• Your essay should contain a thesis either in the introduction or in the conclusion about the movement.
• In addition to addressing the typical journalist questions – who, what, where, when, why, and how, you should also address the 5 elements of an argument essay: Problem, solution, evidence, refutation, and conclusion.
• Choose one of the provided movements listed below, or choose your own. The movement must be well-documented with evidence.
• Your essay must include strong evidence as supported through research, reading, and analysis. Claims and information presented in your essay must be supported by research/evidence.
• Your essay is primarily an objective point of view; therefore, it should not include your opinion or personal experience.
Criteria for Success
- One movement has been sufficiently explored, researched, and analyzed answering and addressing the 5 W’s of journalism (who, what, when, why, where, how).
- The essay contains the 5 structural elements of an argumentative essay: The problem(s), solution(s), evidence, refutation, and a conclusion.
- Details are proven by evidence from a variety of valid, current, and scholarly sources.
- 8-10 quotes and paraphrases have been synthesized, integrated, and MLA formatted; Gather at least 10 different sources; research the opposition to the movement, too.
- Research is presented in a clear and organized structure.
- Various points of view of the movement (those for it and those against it) have been researched thoroughly and incorporated.
- The essay is written with an objective point of view (free from personal opinions and emotional appeals).
- Your writing is confident, informative, and concise.
- The essay contains college-level vocabulary; no sentence fragments, or run-together sentences.
- The introduction compels the audience to continue reading.
- The conclusion thoughtfully addresses the “So What?” and ties back to the thesis leaving readers with something interesting to consider or act.
- The thesis is located in the introduction or the conclusion and is underlined.
- PIE paragraphs support the thesis. (Don’t forget transitions!)
- MLA formatting: heading, header, title, double-spaced, 12-point standard font
- An MLA formatted Works Cited.
- At a minimum, 1,500 meaningful words, 2,000 max (Not including the works cited page).
Social Movements (partial list – you may select your own, you do not have to choose from this list)
- Black Lives Matter (2013 – present) https://blacklivesmatter.com/ (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- The Occupy Movement (2011- 2012) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_movement (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Act Up (1987) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACT_UP (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Counter Culture (1960’s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterculture (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- LGBT (1970’s – Present) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_movements_in_the_United_States (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Women’s Liberation (1960’s-1980’s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_liberation_movement (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Black Arts Movement (1960’s – 1970’s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arts_Movement (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Chicano Movemente (1960’s – 1970’s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicano_Movement (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Asian American Movement (1960’s – 1970’s) https://oxfordre.com/americanhistory/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780199329175.001.0001/acrefore-9780199329175-e-21 (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- The Farm Workers Movement (1941- 1964)https://eji.org/news/history-racial-injustice-farmworkers-movement/ (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- The Harlem Renaissance (1920’s-1930’s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_Renaissance (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Muckraker (1890’s-1920’s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muckraker (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Hong Kong’s https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49317695 (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Sects and Citizens in Lebanon and Iraq https://carnegie-mec.org/2017/06/30/summer-of-our-discontent-sects-and-citizens-in-lebanon-and-iraq-pub-71396 (Connexions vers un site externe.)
- Chiliean Social Outbreak (2019-2020) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%932020_Chilean_protests
Compelling correspondence is essential to the achievement all things considered but since of the changing idea of the present working environments, successful correspondence turns out to be more troublesome, and because of the numerous impediments that will permit beneficiaries to acknowledge the plan of the sender It is restricted. Misguided judgments.In spite of the fact that correspondence inside the association is rarely completely open, numerous straightforward arrangements can be executed to advance the effect of these hindrances.
Concerning specific contextual analysis, two significant correspondence standards, correspondence channel determination and commotion are self-evident. This course presents the standards of correspondence, the act of general correspondence, and different speculations to all the more likely comprehend the correspondence exchanges experienced in regular daily existence. The standards and practices that you learn in this course give the premise to additionally learning and correspondence.
This course starts with an outline of the correspondence cycle, the method of reasoning and hypothesis. In resulting modules of the course, we will look at explicit use of relational connections in close to home and expert life. These incorporate relational correspondence, bunch correspondence and dynamic, authoritative correspondence in the work environment or relational correspondence. Rule of Business Communication In request to make correspondence viable, it is important to follow a few rules and standards. Seven of them are fundamental and applicable, and these are clear, finished, brief, obliging, right, thought to be, concrete. These standards are frequently called 7C for business correspondence. The subtleties of these correspondence standards are examined underneath: Politeness Principle: When conveying, we should build up a cordial relationship with every individual who sends data to us.
To be inviting and polite is indistinguishable, and politeness requires an insightful and amicable activity against others. Axioms are notable that gracious “pay of graciousness is the main thing to win everything”. Correspondence staff ought to consistently remember this. The accompanying standards may assist with improving courtesy:Preliminary considering correspondence with family All glad families have the mystery of progress. This achievement originates from a strong establishment of closeness and closeness. Indeed, through private correspondence these cozy family connections become all the more intently. Correspondence is the foundation of different affiliations, building solid partners of obedient devotion, improving family way of life, and assisting with accomplishing satisfaction (Gosche, p. 1). In any case, so as to keep up an amicable relationship, a few families experienced tumultuous encounters. Correspondence in the family is an intricate and alluring marvel. Correspondence between families isn’t restricted to single messages between families or verbal correspondence.
It is a unique cycle that oversees force, closeness and limits, cohesiveness and flexibility of route frameworks, and makes pictures, topics, stories, ceremonies, rules, jobs, making implications, making a feeling of family life An intelligent cycle that makes a model. This model has passed ages. Notwithstanding the view as a family and family automatic framework, one of the greatest exploration establishments in between family correspondence centers around a family correspondence model. Family correspondence model (FCP) hypothesis clarifies why families impart in their own specific manner dependent on one another ‘s psychological direction. Early FCP research established in media research is keen on how families handle broad communications data. Family correspondence was perceived as an exceptional scholastic exploration field by the National Communications Association in 1989. Family correspondence researchers were at first impacted by family research, social brain science, and relational hypothesis, before long built up the hypothesis and began research in a family framework zeroed in on a significant job. Until 2001, the primary issue of the Family Communication Research Journal, Family Communication Magazine, was given. Family correspondence is more than the field of correspondence analysts in the family. Examination on family correspondence is normally done by individuals in brain science, humanism, and family research, to give some examples models. However, as the popular family correspondence researcher Leslie Baxter stated, it is the focal point of this intelligent semantic creation measure making the grant of family correspondence special. In the field of in-home correspondence, correspondence is normally not founded on autonomous messages from one sender to one beneficiary, yet dependent on the dynamic interdependency of data shared among families It is conceptualized. The focal point of this methodology is on the shared trait of semantic development inside family frameworks. As such, producing doesn’t happen in vacuum, however it happens in a wide scope of ages and social exchange.
Standards are rules end up being followed when performing work to agree to a given objective. Hierarchical achievement relies significantly upon compelling correspondence. So as to successfully impart, it is important to follow a few standards and rules. Coming up next are rules to guarantee powerful correspondence: clearness: lucidity of data is a significant guideline of correspondence. For beneficiaries to know the message plainly, the messages ought to be sorted out in a basic language. To guarantee that beneficiaries can without much of a stretch comprehend the importance of the message, the sender needs to impart unmistakably and unhesitatingly so the beneficiary can plainly and unquestionably comprehend the data.>